Meditation is a state of consciousness in which a person goes deep within themselves, focusing the mind and eliminating outside influences to produce a state of deep peace and relaxation.
I first started meditating when I went to India in 2002 as meditation is one of the 5 points of yoga. I started a more regular practice again at the start of 2017.
In meditation there is constant observation of the mind and it's an experience that is different for everyone.
Benefits of meditation include:
- Reduced levels of stress and anxiety
- Helps to reduce physical pain and boost the immune system
- Lowering blood pressure and increased blood flow to the brain
- Encourages deep relaxation and feelings of peace
- Focuses the mind and promotes deep sleep
- Increased concentration
- Enhances creativity and opens the mind to new ideas
- Balances emotions
- Can create a deeper understanding and awareness of other people
- Can help to connect you to your spiritual purpose/direction
- Can help with creating your day and making grounded decisions